The Wat Buppharam or Suan Dok is a small Buddhist temple in Chiang Mai. It was built during the Lanna period but was renovated several times and none of the Lanna structures remain today.
The Wat Buppharam was built by the Lanna King, Muang Kaew in 1497 as a place for a revered monk from Sukothai to spend his rain retreat. It is an important historical site in Chiang Mai. It was here that 200 years of Burmese rule ended after their defeat by Chao Kawila in 1797 and Lanna rule was restored. The Buddhist images are over 300 years old and the Viharn or assembly hall is 200 years old.
The structure of the Wat Buppharam was given a complete makeover in 1996 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the reign of King Bhumibul Adulyadej. New doors were added to the Viharn and some of the ancient Buddhist images were replaced. A library was also built within the temple complex. Notable features of the temple are the large Ubosot or ordination hall and the Chedis with the ashes of the rulers of Chiang Mai. The temple complex also houses the Mahachulalongkorn Rajavidyalaya Buddhist University. The present Wat Buppharam has many stucco reliefs, murals and wood carvings that are fine examples of modern religious art.